Benefits of Wearing Balaclava – Protection and Insulation
What is Balaclava?
A balaclava is a piece of cloth usually used to cover your face, head, and neck while exposing some parts of your face. It will not cover your eyes and mouth. People wear these balaclavas in different ways. Some want to cover their whole face and only expose their eyes, while others want to expose their eyes, nose, and mouth. It entirely depends on the personal choice of the person who wears the balaclava. It is not only for a single gender; both men and women can wear them. The main purpose of wearing this piece of clothing is protection. Either it is from the weather, the police, or security issues.
Balaclava is a famous winter attire that is designed to protect our heads from cold. It is a commonly worn piece of clothing during the winter season and during winter sports activities to make them warm. People used to wear it under their jackets to insulate the head and give double protection.
There are some people who don’t know much about balaclavas, but don’t worry; this article will give you complete details about balaclavas and why people used to wear them.
Purpose of Wearing a Balaclava:
The main purpose of wearing a balaclava is to provide protection and insulation from cold temperatures. But it is not restricted only to this purpose. There are some other reasons, too.
1. Balaclava is used to save from cold temperatures during the winter season because of its fitted design; it provides insulation and prevents your body from getting cold. It can be worn under the hoods of uppers and jackets.
2. During sports, mainly in the winter season, the balaclava helps sportsmen protect their heads from colds during a long duration of game.
3. During rainy weather, it is used to provide a shell in low freezing temperatures. The balaclava provides extra protection and a warm layer to make you feel warm.
4. Bikers used to wear balaclavas for extra safety and protection from cold temperatures and from getting wet during rainy conditions. It also prevents our safety helmet.
5. Mountaineers and trackers used special balaclavas, which are built for the intense conditions, because these trackers needed extra care and support while doing the summit. It provides extra warmth and mobility during their hiking. These balaclavas are designed in a way to provide enhanced breathing and insulation to make their summit easy.
How to Wear a Balaclava:
Balaclavas can be worn in different ways according to a person’s own choice. But the simplest way to wear a balaclava is to place it on your head, roll it down towards your neck region, and then adjust accordingly. It can be worn differently according to the difference in temperature ranges and according to your choice.
It is easy to carry as it’s just a small piece of cloth. You can easily take it from your bag or pouch on any trip. It provides added support for your attire.
Balaclava resembles a hijab?
Yes, a balaclava resembles a hijab. Muslim girls cover their heads and hair with a hijab, which is a religious headpiece. So people resemble hijab and balaclavas a lot, as the main purpose of both of them is to provide protection and cover the head. That’s why people wearing balaclavas are perceived as Muslims or backward. because they don’t know about the major usage of that piece of balaclava.
Types of balaclavas:
There are various types of balaclavas available in markets and stores, depending on the different types of fabric used in their making.
1. Heavyweight balaclava for cold temperatures and winters
2. A midweight balaclava that is convertible serves as the best accessory for mountaineers.
3. A full balaclava to cover the face, head, and neck
4. Neck Warmer Balaclava to provide full warmth to the neck region
5. Hoodless Balaclava to provide protection except for the head region
Why do people wear balaclavas?
People tend to wear balaclavas for different purposes, like to prevent cold weather, hide their faces, and protect them during and on adventures.
Why is it called a balaclava?
The name comes from a war in Crimea in 1850. During the Battle of Balaclava, people were sent handmade balaclavas to protect them from chilling temperatures.